Steak with Stout Beer and Mushroom Sauce
This is a recipe I'm playing with based on several internet sources. This first version is mostly a resized version of the recipe found at the first source listed below. I needed it here to record my notes, future sources of ideas, and to have the recipe without all the information the first listed page has about choosing a cut of meat and determining level of "doneness."
- 1 8 oz, thick-cut steak
- salt and pepper to season steak
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- 1/8 cup (2 tbsp) shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (___ oz?) crimini (Baby Bella) mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil, if needed
- 6 oz stout beer
- 2 spindly sprigs thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar?
- 1.5 tsp balsamic vinegar
- If you like your steaks cooked more than rare/medium rare, preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare the steaks by patting it dry with a paper towel and seasoning both sides generally with salt and pepper.
- In a pan over low heat, melt butter. Add the shallots and cook until transparent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir. Add the mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft and dark brown, about 5 minutes. Add the olive oil if the pan starts to get dry. If you add the beer before the mushrooms are cooked through, they will absorb too much of the beer flavor.
- Increase heat to medium, add the beer and thyme, and allow the mixture to cook until reduce by more than half, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Once the sauce has reduced, add the salt, sugar, and vinegar and stir to combine. Serve the sauce over the steaks.
- I halved all ingredients but the steak for this first try, exept the steak, which was a little more than a 1/4 of the original recipe.
I may find more, but this is what I'm drawing from so far:
Source 1: Steak With Stout Beer Mushroom Sauce http://thebeeroness.com/2012/03/01/steak-with-stout-beer-mushroom-sauce/
Source 2: Beef Steak In Beer http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/beef-steak-in-beer-136829
Source 3: Steak with Drunken Mushrooms http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-steak-with-drunken-mushrooms-roasted-blue-cheese-potatoes-165630
Source 4: Beef, Mushroom, and Guiness Pie http://allrecipes.com/recipe/216928/beef-mushroom-and-guinness-pie/?internalSource=amp&referringContentType=amp%20recipe&clickId=amp_directions