Chicken Cordon Bleu
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHICKEN (based on one 8 oz breast. Increase as necessary for the number of breasts you make):
- 1 8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, (or slice one of those monster 16oz chicken breasts in half horizontally)
- about 2 slices proscuitto ham (more flavorful than regular hama)
- about 2 slices Swiss cheese (good strong Swiss is best)
- dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with a spash of milk
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (crunchy ones like Panko or crushed gluten free corn flakes are best)
- toothpicks (for securing the rolls
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE(I'm still playing with the proportions for this):
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp flour
You want equal amounts of butter and flour. The original recipe called for a tablespoon of each for twice the sauce, and when I tried it, it was very pasty.
- 1/4 cup milk or cream
- 1/4 tsp chicken bouillon granules or paste (I use Better Than Bouillon)
- 1/8 tsp Worchestershire sauce
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cut the chicken breast into two equal pieces, then pound the pieces as thin as possible (1/4") to tenderize them, allow them to cook more evently, reduce cooking time, and provide more surface area for more yummy stuffing in each bite. Don't worry if you have some small holes, but try not to produce large, gaping tears.
- Cover each chicken breast piece with a smear of dijon mustard
- Cover each chicken breast piece with first a slice of prosciutto, then a slice of Swiss Cheese. Trim to fit as needed.
- Roll each chicken piece up with the ham and cheese on the inside, and secure the rolls in place with toothpicks.
- Coat each chicken piece with seasoned flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
- Place chicken pieces on a rack in a pan (so the chicken rolls are crispy all around).
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes
While the chicken is baking:
- Melt butter in pan and mix in flour.
- Pour in milk or cream, then add bouillon and Worchestershire sauce.
- Reduce or remove sauce from heat and stir in cheese. If sauce is too thick, add more milk/cream
- Keep sauce warm until chicken is done. Pour over chicken to serve.
Chicken recipe created from at least 6 online sources.
Sauce based on Chicken Cordon Bleu (The Easy Way) found at: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/chicken-cordon-bleu-the-easy-way/