Don't be afraid to play with the proportions and ingredients for this recipe, according to your tastes. There is great variety among the many dirt cake recipes found on the Internet and in recipe books. Some recipes leave out the cream cheese, butter, and/or powdered sugar, some use much more or less whipped topping (8-16 oz), and many call for as little as 16 oz of Oreo cookies. I prefer the extra richness that comes from using both cream cheese and butter, and I also find I like using almost equal amounts of Oreo "dirt" and pudding, instead of the thin sprinklings of Oreo cookie crumbs between layers of pudding mixture that some people use.
Sand Cake variation: Use golden sandwich cookies and vanilla pudding, and serve in a beach pail.
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 12 oz tub frozen whipped topping
- 2 16 oz packages Oreo cookies
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 3.5 cups whole milk
- 2 3.3 oz boxes instant vanilla or chocolate pudding mix
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional addition if using vanilla pudding)
Suggested items for presentation and serving:
- Flower Pot
- Artificial Flower or other plant
- Gummy worms
- Garden trowel
- Finely crush Oreo cookies in a food processor or in a plastic bag. Most to all of the white cream will disappear as it is covered with cookie crumbs, but do not worry if any pieces of white cream filling remain, as they will resemble the vermiculite often seen in potting soil and thus will not ruin the visual effect.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter (if using it) until smooth. Mix in powdered sugar and fold in whipped topping. Set aside.
- Mix pudding, milk, and vanilla (if using) in another bowl, then fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- Add pudding and oreros to your chosen serving container in layers, starting and ending with crumbs. Poke a few gummy worms into the "soil" if desired.
- Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set.
- Add a washed artificial plant if desired and/or serve with a clean garden trowel.
My own recipe, based on experience and many recipes from various sources.