This is David's version of Ruth Mock's Quiche Recipe, doubled so that one can be made without onions for me and one can be made with onions for him. I normally don't like quiche, but this one's YUMMY!
10 slices bacon
1 small onion (We prefer Vidalia.) - diced
1 pound frozen mixed broccoli and cauliflower pieces, thawed and chopped
6 cloves garlic, pressed or crushed and minced
1 tbsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. dried basil
4 cups grated Cheddar cheese
2 deep dish pie shells
* Cook the bacon until crisp. Drain well and crumble. Reserve the bacon grease for cooking the veggies. (Suggestion: chop the veggies while the bacon is cooking)
* In one pan, sauté the garlic and onions on low heat in a litle of the bacon grease until softened.
* In another pan, sauté the cauliflower and broccoli pieces in a little of the bacon grease until softened.
* Beat eggs with salt, pepper, and basil in a large bowl.
* Add the cheese bacon, and all veggies but the onion. Pour into one shell. Add the onion to the remaining mixture and pour into the other shell.
* Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until filling is set.
Source: David Woodley Wilkins with later modifications by Melissa MB Wilkins
(Modified from original source: Mock, Ruth. "Bacon and Vegetable Quiche" from page 153 of Raleigh Moravian Women's Ministry Cookbook: A collection of recipes from our 1993 cookbook to present - 2003)