Zucchini Fritters with Parmesan Cheese
In our house, we prefer our zucchini fritters Greek style (with Feta cheese), but we don't always have Feta on hand. This is a yummy, simple zucchini fritter recipe that uses parmesan cheese, instead, which is something we almost always DO have in the house.
This recipe makes about 5 1/4 cup fritters, enough for a generous single side dish for two people.
- 1 pound zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, freshly and coarsely grated (a heaping half cup)
- 1/4-1/3 cup all purpose flour
several tablespoons of olive oil
- Sprinkle salt over grated zucchini, mix well, then place the zucchini in a colander and let it sit for at least 15 minutes (longer is better) to allow the salt to start pulling the liquid out.
- Place the zucchini in a dishcloth or in a few layers of cheese cloth, gather the ends together, then twist and squeeze the cloth as hard as you can to remove all the extra liquid that you can.
- Place the drained zucchini in a bowl and mix in the pepper and egg, then the cheese, then finally a quarter cup or so of flour.
- Grab a small handful of the mixture and see if it can form a loose ball without falling completely apart. If not, add a bit more flour until it can.
- Put enough oil in a pan that it covers the bottom well. Heat the pan and oil to a good medium heat for frying.
- Drop spoonfuls of zucchini mixture (1/4 cup makes a nice size fritter) in the pan and flatten each with a spatula. Don't overcrowd the fritters! Allow enough space between them that oil can bubble up around the edges of each.
- Cook the fritters a couple of minutes on each side until both sides are golden brown, then remove them to a platter covered in paper towels to drain.
Created from scratch after examining many online recipes. including: